When several members of the Birnbach Communications team started working
for an Internet security company, it had a fast-growing business but
was not well known beyond the security trade publications.
- The client made intrusion detection software that checks to see if
a network or system has been hacked but most of the security
coverage in mainstream outlets was based on viruses, which goes beyond
the company's core competency.
- There are some very large security companies. We wanted to raise
the visibility of our client's top executives with key media, potential
and current customers and investors, the industry, the White House
and on Capital Hill.
- Leverage interest in distributed denial of service attacks (DDoS)
that (temporarily) shut down high profile websites like Yahoo.
- Mobilized team to secure widespread national broadcast, print and
online media coverage of the company.
- Contacted core list of security-minded reporters, then expanded reach
to top national outlets.
- Developed briefing materials on top-tier reporters prior to interviews.
- Coordinated and moderated interviews.
- Total media interviews: 108 with: Associated Press, Business Week,
Dow Jones, Financial Times, Forbes, Industry Standard, New York
Times.com TheStreet.com, Upside Magazine, U.S. News & World Report,
USA Today, The Wall Street Journal and more. The Wall Street
Journal quoted Tom Noonan and Chris Klaus on consecutive days.
- Television appearances: 20 on ABC World News' "Tonight with
Peter Jennings," "NBC Nightly News," "Fox News
Live," CNN, CNNfn, and CNBC’s "Business Center" and "Market